moon phases
 

Monday, June 20, 2005

Statue Of Liberty

It's been 12 years since I've seen her for the first time, and to this day, she still gives me the chills of excitement! Yes, that's right, Miss Liberty, that's Miss Statue Of Liberty - from oceans away, from night through day, you can ponder and wonder and be all amazed, from torch to toe, for as far as the eye can see, ya know?

Standing in line earlier this morning, the excitement from within, grew stronger, the closer I was to the entry of Miss Liberty's Pedestal.

I noticed something that began to make me wonder. I am about to visit and experience one of the most famous symbols in the world today, The Statue Of Liberty. Considering all that has occured since the forever changing day in September, we (at least our government) want to give the impression to a group of people in the world, that we have not changed the various freedoms we so enjoy living as citizens in America. The freedom of speech, The freedom to move about this country as we choose, The freedom of choice, The freedom of choosing who and what we want to become in our lives as we mature and gain experiences and home spun memories living in the USA.

Slowly creeping, step by step, towards the entrance to the base of the world's most impressive and most significant symbol of freedom of our time, I passed through more security than I did leaving or returning from a USA International Airport three years ago. I will not go into detail about the security, but I will say, Miss Liberty is well secured so that all those who choose to take a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit her, will do so as securely as possible with the aid of implementing the most innovative security technology system our government currently allows.

Approaching the last security point before entering the base of the Statue of Liberty, I shook my head in wonderment - did we, have we, are we (USA Citizens) really conquering the war on terrorism? Or have "they" got us where "they" want us? Always wondering, always investing and spending money to "secure our Liberty, Freedom, and Safety" from the outside forces of people who have different values than we do as citizens of the USA?

There was an elderly couple in front me, preparing to enter the last security point before entering the pedistal. They happen to turn their bodies towards me, while I was shaking my head slowly, as if I were in a slow motion movie clip. He winked at me with confirmation and understanding, waiting patiently, arm in arm, with his wife, as I rolled my eyes in that most familiar upward arched eyebrow/eyeball movement, while I exhaled a whisper quiet sigh of "whatever" to myself. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Think about it.


A quote from Benjamin Franklin:

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." Benjamin Franklin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<
 Search:   for